At Burkett Asset Management Limited, we deliver exceptional client service by bringing together bright and talented individuals. We offer exciting opportunities to grow in a team environment, and provide a place where robust debate helps us build the conviction necessary to ensure each portfolio represents our best thinking.
Through collaborative innovation, we provide an opportunity for all employees to have impact. We are passionate about our approach to investment management and look to attract and develop individuals motivated to build careers doing the same.
Our Current Vacancies
- Portfolio Management Associate
Burkett Asset Management is a leading independent investment management firm based in Victoria, British Columbia managing more than 100 million dollars on behalf of institutions, foundations, other advisors, and high net-worth clients across a number of diversified strategies.
The firm is registered under NI 31-103 in the category of Portfolio Manager with the British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario Securities Commissions. Our robust category of registration commands that we act solely in our client’s best interest as legal fiduciaries and is a point of pride and professional ethics as we go about our work.
The ASSOCIATE supports firm operations and ensures a high level of client service, often serving as a first point of contact.
The ASSOCIATE is responsible for trade settlements and supports the firm’s investment operations. This includes participating in the development and proactive management of internal systems and processes and engagement with service providers as required to support development of the business and reliable and accurate back and middle office systems.
The ASSOCIATE contributes to a robust and scalable compliance program at the firm.
Client Service (~50%)
• Prepare account opening documents and assist in ongoing service of client relationships
• Processes client payments including:
– Monthly withdrawals
– Ad hoc withdrawals
– Tax instalment payments
• Assembles quarterly reporting packages for clients
• Prepares quarterly fee sweep for new clients
• Receives brokerage trade confirmations and stores in binders
• Receives periodic billings (Bloomberg, NYSE, TMX, etc.)
• Distributes daily email to firm staff on account reconciliation and activity
• Monitors client portfolio compliance with Investment Policy Statement guidelines
• Conducts and communicates periodic and ad hoc investment performance analysis
• Ensure that trading activity and related reporting is meeting all applicable regulatory requirements
• Set up client access with Burkett Asset Management portal and assist with any queries or problem solving
• Receives and actions client deposits and withdrawals including ensuring appropriate transfer authorizations are processed
• Assist in maintaining email send-outs for client communications
• Assemble client tax packages for distribution to appropriate accounting firms
• Assist in preparation of client presentation materials
• Upload exchange rates and benchmarks to evolution on a monthly basis
• Act as point of contact for Toogood and coordinate work items
• Maintain batch jobs for daily/monthly/quarterly/annual scripts
• Daily account reconciliations of cash and holdings
• Ensure corporate actions are processed correctly in accounts
• Confirm all securities are priced on a daily basis
• Set up new client accounts in evolution
• Prepare settlements spreadsheet, verify information matches broker and forward to custodian for settlement
• Work with broker and custodian to identify and settle any failing trades
Legal & Compliance
• Assist in ensuring KYC documents are kept up to date
• Assist in maintenance of trading error log
• Prepares proxy voting in line with firm guidelines
• Completion of the Canadian Securities Course
• Must have a minimum of three (3) years of recent, related industry experience with extensive working knowledge of the investment industry
• Must have previous experience with portfolio management, order management, and execution management
• Willingness to work beyond a normal work schedule to meet seasonal/peak workloads and deadlines
Comprehensive understanding of:
• Portfolio accounting and record-keeping
• Canadian investment regulatory framework
Skills and abilities:
• Professional ethics and integrity second to none
• Relationship management skills and the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with employees, clients and professional contacts
• Conflict management and issues management skills
• Strong analytical skills, process oriented
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; and presentation skills and attention to detail when communicating
• Initiative and innovation skills
Qualified candidates can email their cover letter and resumes to [email protected] addressed to Burkett Hiring Committee. No telephone inquiries please.
Working In Victoria
Victoria is a great place to work and play.
The capital city of British Columbia offers a rich cultural heritage, an affordable cost of living, and the great outdoors at your doorstep.