At Burkett Asset Management Limited, we deliver exceptional client service by bringing together bright and talented individuals. We offer exciting opportunities to grow in a team environment, and provide a place where robust debate helps us build the conviction necessary to ensure each portfolio represents our best thinking.
Through collaborative innovation, we provide an opportunity for all employees to have impact. We are passionate about our approach to investment management and look to attract and develop individuals motivated to build careers doing the same.
Our Current Vacancies
- Associate Analyst
Burkett Asset Management is a fast-growing independent investment management firm based in Victoria, British Columbia managing more than 100 million dollars on behalf of institutions, other advisors, and high net-worth clients across a number of diversified strategies.
The firm is registered under NI 31-103 in the category of Portfolio Manager with the British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario Securities Commissions. Our robust category of registration commands that we act solely in our client’s best interest as legal fiduciaries and is a point of pride and professional ethics as we go about our work.
Burkett Asset Management is seeking an Associate Analyst to join its growing team. The Associate Analyst is responsible for the operational, compliance and financial business areas, with a focus on investment analysis, client service and operations.
Investment Analysis and Risk Management
• Prepare and maintain research files for portfolio holdings including individual company research
• Create and maintain industry comp tables through identifying industry players and key valuation and operational metrics
• Assists the creation of valuation models for portfolio holding companies
• Supports research and assists with new idea generation
• Help with the development of a framework for fixed income portfolio management and origination
• Maintain firm related performance-measurement functions
• Monitors client portfolio compliance with Investment Policy Statement guidelines daily for breaches (and significant deviations) on a monthly basis
Client Service/Business Development
• Manage the business development process in conjunction with the rest of the team
• Prepare presentation materials for new client prospects and existing clients
• Lead marketing initiatives for Burkett Group overall to increase awareness of firm offerings to prospective clients, community and students
• Attend business development/networking opportunities within the community in order to grow the awareness of the firm and your own profile
• Assembles quarterly reporting packages for clients
• Monitors client portfolio compliance with Investment Policy Statement guidelines
• Develop and implement a CRM database, create email campaigns and maintain email lists
• Work with existing client centres of influence to generate leads and prospects
Operations & Compliance
• Be an effective back up for the back and middle office function including processing daily reconciliations, clients directions and daily trade settlements
• Upload exchange rates and benchmarks to database on a monthly basis, and confirm all securities are priced on daily basis
• Carry out proxy voting and update internal voting database for review
• Ensure corporate actions are processed correctly in accounts with research into tax implications
• Help with timely, complete, and accurate filing of all legal and regulatory documents
• Assist with preparation of productive mock and regulatory audits
• Assist with ensuring the firm adheres to minimum required capital under NI31-103 for its registration category and working capital report is filed as appropriate
• Degree in business or mathematics, with a specialization in finance or accounting
• Desire to pursue CFA designation, completion of level 1 is an asset
• Must have a minimum of one (1) year of recent, related industry experience with extensive working knowledge of the investment industry
Comprehensive understanding of:
• Basic function and operations of the debt and equity capital markets
• Canadian investment regulatory framework
Skills and abilities:
• Professional ethics and integrity second to none
• Relationship management skills and the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with employees, clients and professional contacts
• Conflict management and issues management skills
• Strong analytical skills, process oriented
• Ability to gather, synthesize and summarize scattered data
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; and presentation skills and attention to detail when communicating
• Ability to work under pressure and meet client driven deadlines
• Self-starter to identify issue and take on the initiative to solve problems
• Work independently and identify potentially more effective methods of work operation
• Adjust priorities quickly as circumstances change in a fluid environment
• Knowledge of commonly used financial programs such as Bloomberg, Toogood Evolution (or similar) considered an asset
• Given the integrated nature of compliance, be familiar with the firm’s Policy and Procedures Manual and contribute to ensuring adherence to all key compliance requirements
• Must be willing to work beyond a normal work schedule to meet seasonal/peak workloads and deadlines
• Must be eligible to work in Canada and travel as required
Qualified candidates can email their cover letter and resume to [email protected] addressed to Burkett Hiring Committee, subject: Associate Analyst. No inquiries, please.
Working In Victoria
Victoria is a great place to work and play.
The capital city of British Columbia offers a rich cultural heritage, an affordable cost of living, and the great outdoors at your doorstep.